Wednesday, January 28, 2015

How Great Thou Art




Link to Sheet Music:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxMz29oG3LzHQjFvOGg2WFl6WDE3cWFkQkJHSUlTbml0OXdz/view?usp=sharing


History:
Years ago my husband and I decided that instead of watching reruns of Scrubs at the end of the day we would instead go out to watch the sun set and the stars rise. What followed was a very sweet conversation we had about the majesty of our Father's creations. I should emphasize again here that these experiences as well as these songs are sacred to me, and I don't share them lightly. I also feel very strongly there are others that can benefit from these experiences. Travis shared with me his lack in comprehending how an all powerful God could know each of us individually, love us individually, and care for what was going on in our lives. He felt small in comparison to the vastness of what we were seeing in our own backyard. For myself, seeing the majesty of the creations around me made me feel closer to our Heavenly Father. As I reflected on that feeling, I recognized it was not the first time I had felt that way. Rather since my childhood being in nature has always made me feel part of something greater.

I had recently read from the Doctrines of the Gospel student manual about the Creation of this world and all things in it (https://www.lds.org/manual/doctrines-of-the-gospel-student-manual/chapter-7-the-creation?lang=eng). Travis and I discussed how everything was created in Spirit form before it's physical form and therefore all life, plant and animal, had Spirit. I told him I thought that was why I felt connected, there was Spirit life in the world around us, and that reminded me of where I came from before my physical creation. Then we talked about what Bruce R. McKonkie said regarding the creation of mankind. How it was not an act that was delegated, but rather the Father himself took part in what President McKonkie called the "crowning jewel" of creation. Reading this text, and having this discussion stirred my own Spirit very strongly with the desire to express my worship to our Heavenly Father for his creations. The next several weeks yielded the results of this song.

Shortly after this was finished I attended a very unique temple session where I again felt my testimony of the Creation strengthened and my Spirit renewed with the knowledge of my existence before this life. This song is my expression of worship.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Sister Edwards -- is there any chance you could provide a copy of your arrangement of Called to Serve/I hope they Call Me on a Mission transposed down a major 3rd (so that the opening key is B-flat)?

    I could use that ... tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (And thank you so much for providing these pieces!!!)

      Delete