Friday, January 30, 2015

Give Said the Little Stream

I do not have a recording of this, how I wish -so very much- I did.

Link to Sheet Music:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxMz29oG3LzHOWI5MWY0ZDAtNmY2Ni00ZGJjLTgxZWQtNjVlODYzY2YwNzc4/view?usp=sharing

History:
This was my second arrangement that was written in Indiana for a very sweet little toddler named Cosette. At the time I was preparing to play violin in a community concert and the same night received a call from the Bishop of our ward asking if I would arrange this piece for a the funeral of an 18 month old girl who had passed away. This was her favorite song. The thought of composing an arrangement in such a short time was very unsettling for me. Added to those feelings was the anxiety I felt in taking a very light hearted primary song and making it appropriate for a funeral. If you know this song, I'm sure you can understand. Late that night before going to bed I prayed very fervently, asking our Heavenly Father for his help. I was willing, but did not feel at all adequate. I went to bed still feeling unsettled. I awoke some time later crying having dreamed of this melody and rose in the very early morning hours to write it down.

There are different songs interwoven with the original in this. The piano plays them in a higher register than the vocals are sung. It is as if those higher registers come from a child answering their parents with words such as: "I see my Mother kneeling", "Her plea to the Father quiets all my fear", "And I am Thankful, Love is Spoken Here", "I am a child of God", "Lead me, Guide me", "I feel my Savior's love", "He know's I will follow Him, give all my life to him... Singing, singing, all the way. Give oh give away."

This song remains my husbands favorite. He has said that there is a very unique Spirit to be felt in it. I must agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment