Saturday, January 31, 2015

Let the Holy Spirit Guide



Sheet Music Link for recording:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxMz29oG3LzHVkNYTFNPblR5QWM/view?usp=sharing

Sheet Music Link for original choir:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxMz29oG3LzHZjgwMzZlOWMtZTJhNS00ZmQ2LTkyZWEtNzExY2U3MDgzMzU4/view?usp=sharing

If you end up using this sheet music, please send me a response telling me of any positive experience you may have. If you don't feel comfortable with typing out a comment, then you can private message me on Facebook at Travis N Vickie Edwards. Any recording you might get of your presentation feel free to send that as well. I live off compliments, that's your payment for use ;)

History of Arrangement
This was one of the first arrangements I put together. It was the third actually, and 3 is my favorite number. My family and I had just moved to Boise/Meridian from our home of four years in Camby, Indiana where Travis went to dental school. I had stuck in my head this arrangement. Years later I would end up tweaking the original choir version to accommodate three talented singers in a trio.

For several days I found myself humming this song, assuming it was a MoTab arrangement that I had previously heard. On what I recall as being the third day, I decided to go through my music to find the original performance because hearing something in your head just wasn't as satisfying as having my ears filled with these different harmonies. I could not find the music. When I realized that the Mormon Tabernacle Choir had not sung this as an arrangement my first feelings were of shock and then humility. I felt humbled to be able to hear something that I did not feel was my own creation. That's actually why I don't charge for the distribution of these songs. They are written with inspiration from the Holy Ghost and are sacred to me. I prayed many times regarding this arrangement following that experience. Asking that if it was our Father's will, that I might be able to write this out, and again if it was His will, that it might be shared and other's could feel of that sacred Spirit as I had felt in it's origination.

The final verse, not found in the hymn book, came to me at night when my mind would not be still and my thoughts kept settling on the concept that the song was incomplete. After praying again, these words filled my mind:
"Let Thy Spirit fill our song, with the light that heaven brings. 
Stay Thou ever by our side, this our prayer Lord, lead us home Lord 
Let the Holy Spirit guide." 

No comments:

Post a Comment